qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] The image size of instance VM keeps growing

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] The image size of instance VM keeps growing
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 14:24:17 +0100

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 10:08 AM, Charles.Tsai-蔡清海-研究發展部
<address@hidden> wrote:
> We can run a tool to see if there is any active I/O or not. Does the image
> size shrink back if an I/O activity stops?
> What we found here is that the image size kept growing. If this problem
> persists, it could eat up the entire disk space.

It's possible for an image to grow larger than its backing file due to
the layout and metadata of qcow2 (or any image file format).  But this
overhead should be fixed to maximum 1 MB, maybe (assuming you are not
using qcow2 snapshots where the file can grow arbitrarily).

If the image file is growing endlessly then there is a problem :).
The starting point is figuring out which I/O request causes this to
happen so it can be reproduced and debugged.  Can you isolate the
problem to a few steps that can be reproduced?

Stefan