qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] The image size of instance VM keeps growing

From: nicolas prochazka
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] The image size of instance VM keeps growing
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 12:58:31 +0200

hello,
I think it's not qemu relative but windows relative
Windows do a lot of things as auto defrag disk ( without monitoring) when idle time
read this document: http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/VMware-View-OptimizationGuideWindows7-EN.pdf and optimize your guest.

Regards,
Nicolas P.

2012/5/23 Charles.Tsai-蔡清海-研究發展部 <address@hidden>
Stefan,

       Here are what we tested and found  for this issue.

       1.      We checked the integrity of the qcow2 image by running “qemu-img check” and it looked good.
       2.      We monitored the I/O activities of VM using
       “Process monitor”, “Process explorer” and could not find a process running an aggressive I/O activity in the background.

       In the guest OS, the following configurations are turn off to cut down I/O activities.
       1.      Disable the NIC.
       2.      Disable Windows automatic update.
       3.      Disable the page file of the virtual memory.

       After the VM ran for overnight, the image size for the running VM grew up to 3G bytes.

       This issue is very easy to be duplicated. Here are the steps.

       1.      Create a qcow2 image of 64-bit Windows 7 VM from the CD.
       2.      Launch the VM
       3.      Turn off the VM configurations stated above.
       4.      Let the VM run.
       5.      Watch the growth of the VM image size. The longer the VM runs, the bigger the size of the VM is.

       During the run-time, you can run “process monitor” to watch guest OS’s I/O activities. You can see File I/O, registry I/O from the      system during the run-time in this test case. But the growth rate of the image size seems to be greater than default system I/O.