qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Virtio-pci issue

From: Evgeny Voevodin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Virtio-pci issue
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 07:18:33 +0400

On 23.05.2012 17:36, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 12:24 PM, Evgeny Voevodin
<address@hidden>  wrote:
Hi, guys!

While trying to refactor virtio-pci as continuation of my RFC
virtio-mmio patch series:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2012-04/msg03665.html
I've faced a problem.

I try to create virtio-pci-transport device to which virtio-blk,net,etc
could be connected. Any board could create as many transport devices as
it wants and then any actual back-end could be connected to that
transport through a provided virtio-pci.x bus. virtio-pci-transport is
derived from TYPE_PCI_DEVICE.
The problem is that if I create transport devices and wish to connect
back-ends to them, each back-end would set its properties to the class,
not to the object.
For example, vendor_id property is different for blk and net, but since
they are both have same class PCIDeviceClass, they share that property.

How to deal with this?
I think you are asking how a virtio-pci adapter can have device_id
value that depends on its VirtioDevice (not known at compile-time and
different between virtio-pci adapters).

You should be able to set the PCI device ID at runtime:

pci_config_set_device_id(pci_dev->config, device_id_from_virtio_device);

Take a look at hw/pci.c:pci_qdev_init().  The order of operations is important:

1. do_pci_register_device() sets up default values from PCIDeviceClass.
2. ->init(pci_dev) gets called, this is where your init code gets executed.

So it should be fine to set the PCI device ID at runtime from
VirtioPCIAdapter::init().

Stefan

Oh, thanks a lot, Stefan! As soon as I have a time to continue refactoring, I'll check this functionality. And also there is another problem that I've faced with. It is the ability to plug as many pci back-ends as board wants. I mean that if for each back-end board should create a transport, then user have to know maximum number of transport instances created by board. In the case of mmio transport I think that it's a correct behaviour, but for pci transport seems not.

--
Kind regards,
Evgeny Voevodin,