qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC:kvm] export host NUMA info to guest & make emulate

From: Liu ping fan
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC:kvm] export host NUMA info to guest & make emulated device NUMA attr
Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 12:05:02 +0800

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 10:52 PM, Andrew Theurer
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On 05/22/2012 04:28 AM, Liu ping fan wrote:

>>> There three problems we've found:
>>>
>>> 1. KVM doesn't support NUMA load balancer. Even there are no other
>>> workloads in the system, and the number of vcpus on the guest is smaller
>>> than the number of cpus per node, the vcpus could be scheduled on
>>> different nodes.
>>>
>>> Someone is working on in-kernel solution. Andrew Theurer has a working
>>> user-space NUMA aware VM balancer, it requires libvirt and cgroups
>>> (which is default for RHEL6 systems).
>>>
>> Interesting, and I found that "sched/numa: Introduce
>> sys_numa_{t,m}bind()" committed by Peter and Ingo may help.
>> But I think from the guest view, it can not tell whether the two vcpus
>> are on the same host node. For example,
>> vcpu-a in node-A is not vcpu-b in node-B, the guest lb will be more
>> expensive if it pull_task from vcpu-a and
>> choose vcpu-b to push.  And my idea is to export such info to guest,
>> still working on it.
>

> The long term solution is to two-fold:
> 1) Guests that are quite large (in that they cannot fit in a host NUMA node)
> must have static mulit-node NUMA topology implemented by Qemu. That is here
> today, but we do not do it automatically, which is probably going to be a VM
> management responsibility.
> 2) Host scheduler and NUMA code must be enhanced to get better placement of
> Qemu memory and threads.  For single-node vNUMA guests, this is easy, put it
> all in one node.  For mulit-node vNUMA guests, the host must understand that
> some Qemu memory belongs with certain vCPU threads (which make up one of the
> guests vNUMA nodes), and then place that memory/threads in a specific host
> node (and continue for other memory/threads for each Qemu vNUMA node).
>
> Note that even if a guest's memory/threads for a vNUMA node are relocated to
> another host node (which will be necessary) the NUMA characteristics of
> guest are still maintained (as all those vCPUs and memory are still "close"
> to each other).

Yeah, I see Peter's work on tip/sched/numa
> The problem with exposing the host's NUMA info directly to the guest is that
> (1) vCPUs will get relocated, so their topology info in the guest will have
> to change over time. IMO that is a bad idea.  We have a hard enough time
> getting applications to work with a static NUMA info.  To get applications

I original think that vCPUS get relocated only on user demand. And
this can happen on hotplug, not happen frequently, otherwise user will
deserve the drawback.
But forget it, Peter has said no to dynamic-NUMA.
> to react to changing NUMA topology is not going to turn out well. (2) Every
> single guest would have to have the same number of NUMA nodes defined as the
> host.  That is overkill, especially for small guests.

Thanks for your comment
pingfan