qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] How to compile the source code to get the images and ex

From: Daniel P. Berrange
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] How to compile the source code to get the images and executable to run the QEMU?
Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 08:27:30 +0100

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 04:08:30PM -0600, Arturo CV wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Am new around here and am working with the QEMU in a project.
>
> I would like to ask if there is anyone that can let me know how to
> compile or build the images to be used to run the QEMU from the source
> code. I already got the source code from the wiki.qemu.org and I have
> the version 1.0.1. Now I would like to build it from there to start
> doing some test with my project.
>
> At the beginning I was working with the version 0.14.50 but it was
> already build with all the executable and everything and am having
> issues when I try to put the system into an Idle state using the
> "wait" so I was looking to use the newest version and go from there.
>
> I appreciate all the help and guidance you can give me since am kind
> of newbie with this :)

Ordinarily I'd suggest that for any open source project you can just
read the "INSTALL" file or "README" file for instructions, but having
just checked I see QEMU does not have an INSTALL file and the README
is mostly useless. Sigh.

About the only docs I can find on building QEMU are these:

  http://qemu.weilnetz.de/qemu-doc.html#compilation

If you only want to build one particular architecture (eg x86_64),
then my recommendation is:

  ./configure --target-list=x86_64-softmmu --prefix=$HOME/usr/qemu-1.0.1
  make
  make install

Then you can run it

   $HOME/usr/qemu-1.0.1/bin/qemu-system-x86_64

Regards,
Daniel