qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] The image size of instance VM keeps growing

From: Charles . Tsai-蔡清海-研究發展部
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] The image size of instance VM keeps growing
Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 09:20:23 +0000

Stefan,

        I made two test cases here.

        1) case one:
                A 32-bit Windows 7 VM with 8G virtual disk size.
                In this test, the virtual disk is almost full.
                Like what you said, the instance VM size only increased 2%
initially and only a little when virtual disk size is almost
     full.

        2) case two: (we think it is a bug)

                A 64-bit Windows 7 VM with 64G virtual disk size.
                Base image size: 19G

                Here is what I found

                The increase size of instance VM is significantly different
from the decrease size of virtual disk.
                The decrease size of virtual disk stands for the new data
written into the disk by the OS.

                Here are the readings I collected at differ time slot.

                1)
                Instance VM size: 1.6G
                Virtual disk free space: 45792534528 (read from guest OS)

                2)
                Instance VM size: 2.1 G
                Virtual disk free space: 45786300416 (read from guest OS)

                You can find that the instance VM increase 0.5G but virtual
disk space only reduces around 6MB.
                This process will continue as long as the VM is running.

                What do you think about this? Let me know if you need more
explanations from me.