qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Virtio-pci issue

From: Evgeny Voevodin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Virtio-pci issue
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 07:48:02 +0400

On 28.05.2012 16:37, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 4:18 AM, Evgeny Voevodin<address@hidden>  wrote:
And also there is another problem that I've faced with. It is the ability to
plug as many pci back-ends as board wants.
I mean that if for each back-end board should create a transport, then user
have to know maximum number of transport instances
created by board. In the case of mmio transport I think that it's a correct
behaviour, but for pci transport seems not.
Not sure I understand the problem.  Can you rephrase it?

Stefan

Ok, I'll try )
As I see, to connect a pci device to board it should be enough to specify "-device ..." on command line. And in the way virtio refactoring is moving, board should create transport pci device to correspond each
back-end created by "-device ..." command.
So, if we create more back-ends with "-device" option then transports created by board then there would be
back-ends that will not have corresponding transport device.
As result user should know maximum number of transport instances created by board to not overrun it. In the case of mmio I think it's normal, but not in the pci case. Am I right?

--
Kind regards,
Evgeny Voevodin,