qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Keysymbol interpretation missing in QEMU's VNC server?

From: Fabian Holler
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Keysymbol interpretation missing in QEMU's VNC server?
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 16:05:02 +0200

Howdy Erik,

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 09:22:02PM +0200, Erik Rull wrote:
> Fabian Holler wrote:
> >>I just want to route all keypresses to the guest without interfering with
> >>the native QEMU key layout. Is that possible?
> >
> >Yes, if you start kvm without the "-k" option and use a linux VNC client that
> >supports RFB extended key events (eg gtk-vnc, tigervnc).
> >With the extension the keyboard layout only depends on the OS settings in the
> >VM.
>
> I tried tigervnc and tightvnc for Windows - which both advertise the
> feature on their website

I can't find anything on the tightvnc webpage about QEMU extended key events.

My information about tigervnc was wrong. Tigervnc doesn't implemented the
extended key events.
Its problematic in java because you can't get the original key codes in the JVM.

There is this tigervnc fork which adds extended key events:
https://github.com/jakobadam/vnc

But it only sends the code for that key that triggers the character on a
keyboard with danish layout. :)

> - same issues as I have with UltraVNC - no
> AltGr combinations and no "Umlaute" available.
>
> I need a Windows VNC client that can handle that - do you know a vnc
> client that can do that?

No, sorry :-)

> >>How does the QEMU VNC server receive the key
> >>presses? In the same manner as the direct way does by getting scancodes or
> >>via "real" characters?
> >
> >http://berrange.com/posts/2010/07/04/more-than-you-or-i-ever-wanted-to-know-about-virtual-keyboard-handling/
> >http://berrange.com/posts/2010/07/04/a-summary-of-scan-code-key-codes-sets-used-in-the-pc-virtualization-stack/
>
> Really interesting - Linux works, Windows doesn't :-( Also when
> using a Linux remote X-Windows (via SSH tunnel) on my Windows PC it
> works - only the plain Windows VNC client corrupts the
> keypresses....

Seems that no VNC client exists that sends the Windows virtual key code
as RFB/VNC key code to the VNC server.

regards

Fabian