qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Can we improve virtio data structures with QOM?

From: Evgeny Voevodin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Can we improve virtio data structures with QOM?
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 07:37:11 +0400

Oh, previous thread was with wrong address... try again here )

On 30.05.2012 20:28, Markus Armbruster wrote:
Stefan Hajnoczi<address@hidden>  writes:

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 1:01 PM, Markus Armbruster<address@hidden>  wrote:
Ordinary device models have a single state struct.  The first member is
a DeviceState or a specialization of DeviceState, e.g. a PCIDevice.
Simple enough.

I think Evgeny's virtio mmio patches change all this.  In the recent
virtio-pci thread we were discussing how the virtio transport (mmio,
pci) and virtio devices (net, blk, etc) fit together.  The email
thread is "Virtio-pci issues" from Evgeny Voevodin
<address@hidden>.

Thanks for the pointer.

It's been a couple of weeks.  Evgeny, are you still pursuing this?

Yes, but in the past time we have a lot of work in Tizen project, so I
delayed this work a bit. If anybody wants I can send latest patches to
let you continue the work or maybe improve since I'm not sure if I'll
have a time to continue until 15'th of june (but I'll try . Actually
my work is based on Peter's virtio-mmio patch set http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2011-11/msg01870.html, so maybe it's worth
adding him in the list <address@hidden>.

It probably makes sense to first merge Evgeny's virtio refactoring and
then ensure it's nicely mapped to QOM.

Yes, no good attempting to do too much in one series.  Nevertheless,
having a sufficiently developed idea of the final state in mind helps.

--
Kind regards,
Evgeny Voevodin,