qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] vio-net driver

From: Brian Jackson
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] vio-net driver
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2012 13:29:49 -0500

On Tuesday, June 05, 2012 12:17:17 AM Charles.Tsai-蔡清海-研究發展部 wrote:
> We recently ran an Ubuntu 11.10 VM which was installed with VirtIO NIC
> driver. The VirtIO net driver came from the Ubuntu's default package. The
> VM we installed was configured as a bridge mode. When we ran the Iperf
> test against the VM, the network interface of the VM was fairly unstable.
> Sometimes, the network interface of the VM could not receive the packets
> and we needed to bright the network interface down and up in order to make
> it work. After we replaced the VirtIo Net driver with ne2k driver and it
> worked quite stably now.

The normal answer is "update to the latest kernel (host and guest) and
qemu/kvm.

> We know that the performance of virtIO is much better than ne2k in virtual
> environment. We would like to use virtio driver instead. If this is the
> virtio driver issue, can you tell us where to get the latest virtIO driver
> for Ubuntu VM? Otherwise, tell us how to make the virtio net driver work
> in Ubuntu VM if you have ever had similar issue before.
>
> The version of Qemu installed in Ubuntu is 1.0

I have to imagine they are backporting 1.0 branch fixes to that, but even then
nothing pops out in my memory about problems like that with 1.0. Older
versions are a different story. You might try telling us host kernel version,
guest kernel version (we don't all have a matrix for what random distro
version has what kernel/qemu/kvm versions). Also, the command line used to run
the guest is almost always a requirement for help.