qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] CoW image commit+shrink(= make_empty) support

From: Jeff Cody
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] CoW image commit+shrink(= make_empty) support
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2012 12:52:12 -0400

On 06/08/2012 05:08 PM, Kevin Wolf wrote:
> Am 08.06.2012 20:33, schrieb Jeff Cody:

>>> The question is what the speed parameter really means for a live commit
>>> block job (or for an active mirror). I think it would make sense to
>>> limit only the speed of I/O that doesn't come from the guest but is from
>>> the background copying.
>>>
>>> If you did apply it to guest I/O as well, then I think the logical
>>> consequence would be that guest I/O is throttled as well because
>>> requests only complete when they have reached both source and target.
>>>
>>> (I know I'm happily mixing terminology of all kinds of live block jobs
>>> here, hope you understand anyway what I mean ;-))
>>
>> I understand what you mean :) My thought is that the block commit
>> 'speed' parameter would essentially only apply to 'old data', that is
>> being copied in the commit coroutine, and it would be ignored (violated)
>> for 'new data' in the mirroring-like case.
>>
>> I assumed we wouldn't want to throttle the guest I/O, but that may be a
>> bad assumption on my part.
>
> I don't disagree, I just wanted to point out that throttling the guest
> would be another option. Applying the limit only to old data probably
> makes most sense indeed.

Given that, perhaps it does make sense to get it implemented in two
phases - first the straightforward block commit for images below the
active layer, and then a follow-up patch set to implement committing in
the top layer alongside an active mirroring approach for convergence.

>>> I'm not sure how far a bdrv_append-like approach will work in this case.
>>> The problem is that you must not open any image r/w twice. The policy is
>>> that you can open an image either once r/w or multiple times read-only.
>>
>> I think there are 3 possibilities that would be OK: open once r/w, one
>> or more times r/o, or once r/w + one or more times r/o.  Do you agree
>> with this?  Is the latter case against block-layer policy?
>
> Yes, it is. The problem is that image formats have data cached in
> memory, and as soon as you have a writer, the other users of the same
> image file - no matter whether r/w or r/o - get out of sync. They might
> mix old (cached) matadata with other new metadata, and I think you can
> imagine what mess would result.
>
> Strictly speaking even raw caches things like the image size, so if the
> r/w instance happens to resize the image, the additional r/o readers
> would have a problem even with raw.

OK, thanks. I should have qualified that with saying, for this
application, that it is not intended to have the images open r/w and r/o
for ongoing operations; it is just for the purpose of overlapping the
closing of the r/o instance.

>> In this special case for block commit, we need to do the reopen() to go
>> from a r/o image to a r/w image.  If an image is opened r/o, the drv
>> layer can do another open with a new descriptor, this time r/w, without
>> closing the r/o instance.  If the new r/w open was successful, then the
>> r/o instance can be closed, and some bdrv_append()-like operations done.
>> Otherwise, like the current transactional code, we can just 'walk away'
>> by only closing the new image (if it got that far), and the existing BDS
>> with the r/o image is safely unchanged (and never closed, so no
>> unrecoverable error paths).
>
> Yes. It's just that you need to be very careful. You would ask the qcow2
> driver to reopen the image, and it would take care to invalidate any
> cached data and then pass the request on to the next layer. When you
> have drilled down through the stack to raw-posix, it would actually open
> the second file descriptor and wait for a commit/abort that goes through
> the whole stack again.

That makes sense, and I agree that it is a bit tricky.  The other
question is what protocol / drivers will support this sort of operation,
as well. And I certainly think that using Supriya's patches will prove
useful.

Thanks,
Jeff