qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] USB hardware simulation in external process

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] USB hardware simulation in external process
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 08:50:12 +0200

On 06/11/12 16:48, Daniel Mack wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I'm thinking about adding a USB hardware proxy that allows communication
> with an external server process which in turn simulates USB devices.

It's already there.  Have a look at usbredir.

http://hansdegoede.livejournal.com/11006.html

usbredir a library and network protocol for redirecting usb devices over
the network.  Intended use case is allow accessing usb devices remotely,
i.e. allow the virtual machine running somewhere in the cloud access usb
devices plugged into the local workstation.

But of course you can alot of other stuff with it by simply
hacking/replacing the server side:  Logging what the guest machine is
doing, emulate something, ...

HTH,
  Gerd