qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] QOMification of AXI streams

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] QOMification of AXI streams
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 15:57:47 -0500

On 06/12/2012 07:37 PM, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
Not really no, we don't have proper DMA APIs to shoot from devices.

What the DMAContext patches provide is a generic dma_* API but if we are
going to get rid of DMAContext in favor of a (modified ?) MemoryRegion
I'd rather not expose that to devices.

Since I need something _now_ for 1.2 (this has been going on for way too
long), I'm going to go for a quick kill for PCI&  PAPR VIO only using a
slightly modified version of the existing iommu patches that provides
pci_* wrappers to the DMA ops that take the PCIDevice as an argument.

That way we can replace the infrastructure and remove DMAContext without
affecting devices in a second stage (unless you think you can come up
with a new scheme in the next few days :-) I really am not familiar
enough with those parts of qemu to aim for the full schebang for 1.2 but
maybe you guys can :-)

I think pci_* wrappers is the right thing to do in the short term (and probably long term too).

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Cheers,
Ben.