qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] QOMification of AXI streams

From: Edgar E. Iglesias
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] QOMification of AXI streams
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 05:17:23 +0200

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 12:41:06PM +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-06-14 at 04:31 +0200, Edgar E. Iglesias wrote:
> > > An AXI device might issue a cycle on the AXI portion, that can be
> > > decoded by either a sibling AXI device ... or go up. In most cases
> >
> > No, it doesn't really go up.. This is where we disagree.
>
> Well, not really indeed as the memory subsystem is just another sibling
> in this specific case, bad choice of words here. Though it does go "up"
> in a way if you are in a cache coherent system thanks to snooping :-)
> But right, memory is just a sibling.
>
> > > though, "upstream" is some kind of substractive decoding (ie. anything
> > > -not- decoded by a sibling goes up).
> >
> > I've never seen this happen, but I won't say it doesn't exist because
> > you'll find all kinds of HW out there that'll do all kind of stuff
> > you wouldn't imagine.
>
> Its quite common. You seem to have a vision limited to a single flat bus
> with all the devices connected to it :-) The minute you start having bus
> hierarchies things become much more interesting... Even on ARM, with PCI
> for example.

I probably have a limited view, but I've worked with developing devices
and connecting them to various busses for a while so I'm not completely
lost.

> > > This gets even more obvious with PCI of course. Then add a b43 wifi card
> > > on PCI, you have AXI -> PCI -> SSB (silicon backplane). Now what happens
> > > when one of the sub-devices on SBB (the MAC interface for example) does
> > > a bus master ? You have at least 2 layers to cross before you hit your
> > > processor bus.
> > >
> > > Add iommu's to the soup and you get into a serious mess :-)
> >
> > IOmmus messify things a bit, but the translation is only done from
> > the masters above the iommu going down theough the iommu. Not
> > vice versa. At least AFAIK.
>
> Sure, for the very simple reason that the iommu typically sits behind
> the master. So the other direction is handled by the CPU's MMU.

The CPU's MMU is a CPU local thing, it can be ignored in this context...

Anyway, I might very well be missing or missunderstganding something so
I'm not claiming I'm having the absolute "thruth" here but it seems to me
like implementing device accesses bottom-up or "upstream", is something
that is extremely rare (to put it mildely), something that is unnecessary
unless we __really__ need it.

Cheers