qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] q35 chipset support

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] q35 chipset support
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 15:16:03 -0500

On 06/14/2012 02:54 PM, Jason Baron wrote:
Hi,

I recently updated Isaku Yamahata's q35 patches to work on the latest qemu and
seabios trees. On the qemu side, most of the changes revolved around updating
to use QOM and updates to the memory API. I was also able to drop quite a few
patches that had already been resolved by the current qemu tree.

The trees seem pretty stable and can be found here:

git://github.com/jibaron/q35-qemu.git
git://github.com/jibaron/q35-seabios.git

I'm got the beginnings of a feature page started:

http://wiki.qemu.org/Features/Q35

The approach above will not work in a QOM world unfortunately. We need to do quite a bit of ground work before adding another chipset. The biggest task is converting devices to not require an ISA bus since ICH9 simply doesn't have an ISA bus.

You can hack things together to work without this, but the result is unmaintainable spaghetti (which is pretty close to what we already have today).

Once the QOM bus support gets merged, I'm going to send out an ISA bus refactoring which gets most of the platform devices away from ISA..

Regards,

Anthony Liguori