qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] [RFC] ARMCPU: Halting a CPU from Device Land

From: Peter Crosthwaite
Subject: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] ARMCPU: Halting a CPU from Device Land
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 17:22:31 +1000

Hi Andreas,

For the Xilinx Zynq platform, we need to be able to halt a CPU from a
device (the zynq_slcr). E.G, if I write a 1 to a register bit in my
device, then that device effects a halt of a CPU. Looking at the QOM
stuff the API for a CPU is (include/qemu/cpu.h):

typedef struct CPUClass {
    /*< private >*/
    ObjectClass parent_class;
    /*< public >*/

    void (*reset)(CPUState *cpu);
} CPUClass;

The only API function is to reset a CPU. Thats means that if I link up
my CPU to my device the only thing it can do is reset the CPU? Are
there plans to extend this API to include some common functions such
as halting and resuming etc? How hard is this to do in a generic (non
ARM) way?

Peter,

Can it be done is an ARM specific way? Is there a one line killer to
halt an ARM cpu that we could add the to ARMCPU API?

Regards,
Peter