qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] q35 chipset support

From: Jason Baron
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] q35 chipset support
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 16:36:07 -0400

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 09:05:17AM -0500, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> On 06/18/2012 08:51 AM, Markus Armbruster wrote:
> >Anthony Liguori<address@hidden>  writes:

> >>No, but I can provide a long explanation :-)
> >
> >Thanks!
> >
> >>The I440FX has a very basic device topology.  The PCI host is the
> >>memory controller and there's a PCI device that happens to have the
> >>SuperI/O chip + a PCI-ISA bridge.  There's no IOMMU and interrupt
> >>routing is simple.
> >
> >PC interrupt routing is hardly ever "simple", but I get what you mean ;)
> >
> >>The Q35 is much more sophisticated.  The PCI-e complex itself can
> >>present interesting topologies and the legacy PCI bus sits within the
> >>PCI-e complex. You can still have a PCI-ISA bridge but the SuperI/O
> >>chip is not part of it. Rather that's off of a separate bus (the LPC)
> >>which does not logically reside within the PCI-e complex.
> >
> >Let's whether I understand.
> >
> >The platform devices do *not* sit behind a PCI-ISA bridge (in fact, no
> >such bridge exists normally).  Instead, they're connected via LPC.
>
> No, *some* platform devices are connected via LPC.  Some are not.
>
> To give you an example: both LPC and ISA provide a bus-level DMA
> interface. When you think of IOMMU modeling, it looks something like
> this:
>
> Floppy controller:
>   isa_memory_read(isa_dev, ...)
>    -> talks to DMA controller
>
> DMA controller:
>   Implemented in PIIX4 for I440FX, within ICH9 for q35
>   Uses cpu_physical_memory_rw() which takes the get_system() MemoryRegion
>
> So we cannot have the DMA controller be a ISA/LPC device as we do
> today because the ISA bus should only use isa_memory_read() which is
> implemented by the DMA controller.  We have an infinite modeling
> loop today :-)

I'd like to understand this example better.

I see that DMA_init() is called by pc_basic_device_init(), and used by devices
such as fdc.c and cs4231a.c. So, it appears that the DMA controller is currently
used as an ISA dma controller. However, I don't see that hw/dma.c has explicit
ties to the ISA bus modeling. The current code in hw/fdc.c does:

DMA_read_memory (nchan, fdctrl->fifo + rel_pos,
                 fdctrl->data_pos, len);

And the rest of interfaces to DMA in isa.h are:

/* dma.c */
int DMA_get_channel_mode (int nchan);
int DMA_read_memory (int nchan, void *buf, int pos, int size);
int DMA_write_memory (int nchan, void *buf, int pos, int size);
void DMA_hold_DREQ (int nchan);
void DMA_release_DREQ (int nchan);
void DMA_schedule(int nchan);

So I don't see a requirement that forces things to be an ISA device to
make use of the DMA controller.

Thanks,

-Jason