qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Adding errno to QMP errors

From: Kevin Wolf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Adding errno to QMP errors
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 09:39:34 +0200

Am 18.06.2012 20:31, schrieb Anthony Liguori:
> Irrespective of anything else, I think it's safe to say the experiment of
> "rich
> errors" has been a failure.  We still have way too many places using
> error_report.
>
> As I mentioned in another thread, I think we should:
>
> 1) Introduce a GENERIC_ERROR QError type.  It could have a 'domain' and a
> 'msg'
> field.
>
> 2) Focus on converting users of error_report over to use propagated Error
> objects.
>
> We shouldn't/can't change existing QError users.  We also shouldn't consider
> changing the wire protocol.  But for new error users, we should/can relax the
> reported errors.
>
> We need a clear support policy on whether the contents of 'msg' are stable or
> not too.

Another point that you used to bring up in earlier discussions is
translated error messages. If we start returning error messages that are
meant to displayed to the user, should we get your gettext patches
applied which you did for the GTK backend? libvirt would then have to
pay attention to start qemu with the same locale as the client has.

Kevin