qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Add virtual devices to QEMU

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Add virtual devices to QEMU
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 09:27:39 +0100

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 7:58 PM, Alberich de megres
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Thank you guys for the reply :)
>
> One last question,
> my device is like a physical console with buttons and indicators.
>
> I saw the android emulator also draws the keyboard using a modified
> version of the qemu.
> Is there some kind of "presentation" layer, or the just modified the
> window size and add it there? do you know how does it works?

Mainline QEMU does not have a skinnable UI and in fact has several
different graphical backends (SDL, VNC) which would make this a little
tricky to do generically.

As an alternative, you could add non-graphical QEMU monitor commands
(which are great because you can easily automate and test from
scripts!).  See qapi-schema.json and docs/writing-qmp-commands.txt.
For an example, see the "sendkey" command implemented in
monitor.c:do_sendkey().  You can use this command to simulate
keypresses like "sendkey ctrl-alt-del".

I imagine adding a monitor command is more useful for prototyping and
developing than making a custom UI.

Stefan