qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] net: RFC New Socket-Based, Switched Network Backend (QD

From: Mike Lovell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] net: RFC New Socket-Based, Switched Network Backend (QDES)
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 10:48:43 -0600

On 06/26/2012 02:29 AM, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 5:32 PM, Mike Lovell <address@hidden> wrote:

Oh. I forgot another reason why I decided to do this over using VDE. I'll do
this one with an example. Say you have 3 virtual machines on 3 different
hosts. Each host has a vde_switch process running, Switch A, B, and C. Each
vde_switch has connections to the other 2 through some vde_plug's and
netcat. In this case, VDE will disable one of the links between switches to
prevent loops, say the link between Switch A and C. Traffic from the VM
connected to Switch C that is destined for the VM on Switch A will have to
traverse through Switch B. This is a suboptimal traffic flow. Especially
when you consider that the traffic has to flow through 3 to 4 additional
processes on each host for each direction.
I haven't tried VDE myself but this sounds odd.  Why can't you run a
single vde_switch instance and connect multiple guests to it (with
netcat)?

you can connect multiple guests to a single vde_switch. as i understand it, the communication happens over a local unix domain socket. this would limit the guests on the same switch to the same host. so if you want guests on multiple hosts to talk using vde, i think you need a vde_switch on each host and then connect the vde_switch processes.

mike