qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Possible qemu gpl license violation

From: Alan Nelson
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Possible qemu gpl license violation
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 11:52:59 -0700

I read a thread "ARM binary code translator" on android-x86 Google Group (https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/android-x86/_3HoNJTi_Y0). It is mentioned that Bluestacks (www.bluestacks.com) uses qemu for an arm binary translator in its software that runs Android apps. I downloaded the software. A dump of the file in question (/system/bin/arm-runtime) shows many signs of modified qemu code in use. The company never said it uses qemu nor can we download the source code of it. It seems a qemu gpl license violation. Will someone in the community contact the company asking them to follow the qemu gpl license rules?

Alan