qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Request VFIO inclusion in linux-next

From: Alex Williamson
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Request VFIO inclusion in linux-next
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2012 22:14:20 -0600

On Mon, 2012-07-02 at 13:41 +1000, Alexey Kardashevskiy wrote:
> On 27/06/12 22:37, Dan Carpenter wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 10:55:52PM -0600, Alex Williamson wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> VFIO has been kicking around for well over a year now and has been
> >> posted numerous times for review.  The pre-requirements are finally
> >> available in linux-next (or will be in the 20120626 build) so I'd like
> >> to request a new branch be included in linux-next with a goal of being
> >> accepted into v3.6.
> >>

> > Could you run Sparse over the driver?
> > http://lwn.net/Articles/205624/
> >
> > It reports a bunch of endian problems.  Some are definitely bugs
> > like:
> >     *prev |= cpu_to_le32((u32)epos << 20);
>

> What is wrong here?

I believe the only thing wrong here was that prev was a u32* instead of
a __le32*.  The new version in my tree has much better endian annotation
after going through all the sparse errors.  The only bug I found in the
cleanup was the handling of rbar.  It was missing the le32_to_cpu as we
copied it out of vconfig.  This is later used with
pci_user_write_config_dword, so it needs to be in native endian.
Thanks,

Alex