qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] block: Removed coroutine ownership assumption

From: Markus Armbruster
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] block: Removed coroutine ownership assumption
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 15:42:10 +0200

Kevin Wolf <address@hidden> writes:

> Am 02.07.2012 11:42, schrieb Peter Crosthwaite:
>>>
>>> If you don't need the read data in your initialisation code,
>>
>> definately not :) Just as long as the read data is there by the time
>> the machine goes live.  Whats the current policy with bdrv_read()ing
>> from init functions anyway? Several devices in qemu have init
>> functions that read the entire storage into a buffer (then the guest
>> just talks to the buffer rather than the backing store).
>
> Reading from block devices during device initialisation breaks
> migration, so I'd like to see it go away wherever possible. Reading in
> the whole image file doesn't sound like something for which a good
> excuse exists, you can do that as well during the first access.

I just stumbled over another problem case: encrypted images.

Encrypted images specified on the command line get their keys from the
monitor.  -S is forced automatically.  You can then use block_passwd to
set keys.  cont asks for keys still missing.

However, device initialization happens *before* you get access to the
monitor.  Therefore, your init method runs without a key.

It would be nice if the monitor was available before device
initialization.  Patches welcome.

[...]