qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] introduce a dynamic library to expose qemu block

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] introduce a dynamic library to expose qemu block API
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 10:43:15 +0100

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 11:27:55AM +0200, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 10:13:15AM +0100, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> > How is that different from all the qemu-io commands?
>
> qemu-io has no modes to just dumb the output without additional
> information / statistics or for the write case just take user input
> instead of a pattern.  I actually tried to add raw arguments to
> qemu-io, which still worked ou ok for reads but started to get
> fairly ugly for the write.
>
> What I use in production right now is a trivial qemu-cat tool that
> just does the raw reads and writes, but I think adding it as a new
> sub command to qemu-img instead of another tool seems a bit cleaner.
>
> If you and Kevin or Anthony disagree and want the qemu-cat tool I can
> submit a patch for that instead.

Okay, I see what you mean.  I have used the hex output mode (when you
use the verbose option) but it's not raw.

Sounds like you want a qemu-dd :).  I think adding that to qemu-img is
fine though since it's already the tool that users are familiar with for
image file manipulation and that gets shipped.

Stefan