qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] q35 and ahci

From: Jason Baron
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] q35 and ahci
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 11:47:14 -0400

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 09:31:46AM -0600, Eric Blake wrote:
> > Update on q35 testing with various os's.
> >
> > Linux
> > -----
> > -RHEL6.3 installs + runs
> > -Fedora 16 install + runs
> > -Fedora 17 - squashfs errors
> >    running on already installed f17 seems ok.
>
> Pardon my high-level question (I haven't been following q35 threads
> closely), but I just looked at http://wiki.qemu.org/Features/Q35 for the
> first time.  Am I correct that all we are doing is adding a new machine
> model, but that it will still be possible to select the older machine
> model for migration compatibility when migrating a guest in from an
> older qemu?  Does libvirt need to do anything special to its generated

yes, right now its specified as -M pc_q35

> command line to specify the old vs. the new machine model?

The current command line I'm using something such as:

$ /usr/local/bin/qemu-system-x86_64  -name "f16" -M pc_q35 -m 1G -smp 4
-hda ./f16.img --enable-kvm  -bios <path>/q35-seabios/out/bios.bin
-acpitable file=<path>/q35-seabios/out/q35-acpi-dsdt.aml  -monitor stdio

So it might be nice to avoid the '-acpitable' flag. Perhaps, we can
teach qemu to pull in the correct acpitable depending on the -M
specification...

Thanks,

-Jason