qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Synchronize issue and lost character when using serial

From: Wei Xu
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Synchronize issue and lost character when using serial as pipe type
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 21:03:25 +0800

Hi Wei-Ren & All,
I have tried to upgrade qemu, but it looks so hard, my guest domain can't boot up with the new "qemu 1.0.1",
and i'm not sure if I make a wrong usage or something else.

Cos I don't know how to tell xend to use "qemu-1.0.1" to replace it's "qemu-dm", so I try to find out some other way, when I see "qemu" can directly boot up a guest use xen hypercall in the man page, then I'm going to try it, but it told this can't be used with xend, so i set up a new Ubuntu 11.10 and install Xen 4.1.2 from source code and boot to it, that means no xend.

After compiled "qemu-1.0.1" with --enable-xen option and installed it, I launched the command line to boot my  guest domain:

 #qemu-system-x86_64 -vnc 0.0.0.0:0 -boot c -serial pipe:/tmp/bsd-serial -net none -M pc -hda /wei/dev/FreeBSD9.0.img -xen-create -xen-domid 1
is it right?

System hang during boot up after printed out about 50% of successful boot up message, I have compared it with before successfully boot up message, i found it maybe hanging when try to recognize the disk or loading PV driver for disk, as i know, xend use "qemu-dm 0.10.2" to launch a guest while it looks "qemu-1.0.1" used a totally different way.

I wonder if "qemu-dm" is a similar thing with "qemu" itself?  looks qemu support a lot thing? I have searched for the difference between them but looks no answer, Does anyone know this?

Is there somebody have tried to replace or upgrade "qemu-dm" successfully? or any other idea will be appreciated a lot.

Regards,
Wei

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 11:27 AM, Wei Xu <address@hidden> wrote:
Thanks, I'll try it and update later.

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 7:36 PM, 陳韋任 (Wei-Ren Chen) <address@hidden> wrote:
On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 07:32:44PM +0800, Wei Xu wrote:
> Hi Folks,
> I am trying to install FreeBSD9.0 with xen4.0.2 and qemu 0.10.2, and try to set
> up a kernel debug host pair using the serial with pipe type,
> after tried and failed for a lot of times and then I come here for some help,
> here is my info.

  QEMU 0.10 is really old. Have you ever considered using current
release?

Regards,
chenwj

--
Wei-Ren Chen (陳韋任)
Computer Systems Lab, Institute of Information Science,