qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 00/14]: add printf-like human msg to error_set()

From: Andreas Färber
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 00/14]: add printf-like human msg to error_set()
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 15:17:15 +0200

Am 26.07.2012 18:37, schrieb Luiz Capitulino:
> On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 18:03:20 +0200
> Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Il 26/07/2012 17:54, Markus Armbruster ha scritto:
>>> Unlike Anthony, I think this is a move in the right direction.
>>
>> Me too, but I would like to understand how it fits with the
>> qapi-schema-errors.json.  Do we actually need a schema if the messages
>> are flat?
>
> Yes, we need it because we still an error object to obey (ie. the data
> member).
>
> But we're talking about dropping that, so it might be possible to kill
> the schema.

I'm not so familiar with how all this error infrastructure is plugged
together...

In a different thread that I mentioned recently (and still haven't found
in my inbox), we were talking about changing the JSON encoding of errors
where unused by libvirt. Specifically we were talking about having a
field for the canonical QOM path of the affected object in place of the
often-empty device ID.

Are you now discussing to drop any such elaborated QMP schemes in place
of just one non-parsable human error message string?

Andreas