qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Cirrus bugs vs endian: how two bugs cancel each other o

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Cirrus bugs vs endian: how two bugs cancel each other out
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 22:08:07 +1000

On Mon, 2012-07-30 at 14:58 +0300, Avi Kivity wrote:
> Let's balkanize some more then?
>
> No, qxl is our paravirt vga, we should improve it instead of spawning
> new ones (which will be horrible in the eyes of the next person to look
> at them).  You should also be getting the drm driver for free.
>
> http://spice-space.org/page/DRM

"Free" is a big word here, I wouldn't be surprised if it was totally
endian busted :-)

Why so much effort into a bad design on top of a crack transport btw ?
Is it just RH politics of there's a good reason hiding somewhere ? Some
kind of morbid fascination for anything Windows ?

People I've talked to around in the community seem to agree that some
minor improvements on qemu-vga are worthwhile, so I'm doing them,
nothing drastic, mostly having a mirror of the legacy IO registers in an
MMIO BAR so it's more usable for non-x86 platforms, and I'm about to add
some simplistic 2D blit facility so we can have a semi-decent fb console
over vnc. I can trivially do an equivalent of cirrusdrmfb for it so we
get X mode setting / RandR.

That gives us a baseline for mostly unaccelerated 2D.

Something tells me that getting that spice/qxl gunk will be more than a
trivial effort (but I might be wrong) and I'm reluctant to start
committing effort on it since so far I yet have to see it being actually
picked up by people.

Cheers,
Ben.