qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Smc support in qemu

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Smc support in qemu
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2012 09:37:10 +0100

On 3 August 2012 09:15, Laurent Desnogues <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 2:20 PM, Itaru Kitayama <address@hidden> wrote:
>> The recent upstream highbank kernel uses smc to enable its L2 cache,
>> but on a qemu virt machine
>> it is not supported yet. Is it likely supported by qemu soon? What is
>> the time frame for that?

(cc'd the highbank maintainer)

> For other people reading this, SMC is the instruction used by ARM
> processors to call routines written in the Secure world.  The issue
> here is that even if you had support for that instruction, it wouldn't
> be enough because each platform has different SMC
> implementations, which code of course is not public, and quite
> often even the API is undocumented.

Oh, that SMC. I thought we might be talking about the hardware
manufacturer...

> Riku Voipio has a branch which implements some basic security
> stuff here:
>
> http://git.linaro.org/gitweb?p=people/rikuvoipio/qemu.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/linaro

That's just a personal (and as you say old) copy of qemu-linaro.
qemu-linaro proper is here:
http://git.linaro.org/gitweb?p=qemu/qemu-linaro.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/rebasing

My proposal for how we should handle SMC is here:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2012-05/msg03012.html

(the code in qemu-linaro for SMC is similar to that but not
exactly the same semantics).

-- PMM