qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] For all targets and machine types: "start to monitor" s

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] For all targets and machine types: "start to monitor" smoke test
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2012 14:37:12 -0600

On 08/07/2012 02:30 PM, Markus Armbruster wrote:
> Peter Maydell <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Recommend to make it a string that lists the mandatory options.
>>
>> How are you going to say "need either option foo or option bar" ? I'm
>> pretty sure we have some of those (eg "either you need to pass a flash
>> image or a kernel").
>
> Yes, we do.
>
> The string should be suitable for inserting into -help.

Convention in other programs' -help output is to express a mandatory
selection from mutually exclusive options using {}, as in:

 { -foo | -bar }

If both options can be used together, but cannot both be omitted, then
this style works:

 { -foo [ -bar ] | -bar }

Mutually exclusive options, but where omission is okay, would then be:

 [ { -foo | -bar } ]

or even this variant, to express the default when both are omitted:

 { -foo | [ -bar ] }

Using strings with metasyntax like that should be usable in qemu -help.

--
Eric Blake   address@hidden    +1-919-301-3266