qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Is it possible to detect guest OS modifying pte inside QEMU

From: Wei-Ren Chen
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Is it possible to detect guest OS modifying pte inside QEMU?
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2012 15:38:56 +0800

Hi all,

  Just for research, we are studying if we can leave the guest page
table walk to underlying hardware rather than using software emulation
(like current approach). So, maybe (if *doable*) we can use x86 hardware
to help us to walk guest (like ARM) page table. The rough idea is we
have to maintain a x86-format shadow page table for the corresponding
ARM page table, point host cr3 to the shadow page table, and let x86
hardware do its job. The problem is, we have to aware that guest is
modifying its guest page table entry so that we can sync its corrsponding
shadow page table. But, we still haven't find a good way to know when
the guest OS is modifying guest page table entry.

  Any idea is welcomed. Thanks.

Regards,
chenwj

--
Wei-Ren Chen (陳韋任)
Computer Systems Lab, Institute of Information Science,