qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [v2 Patch 0/9]block: Image file reopen and dynamic host

From: Jeff Cody
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [v2 Patch 0/9]block: Image file reopen and dynamic host pagecache change
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2012 00:26:05 -0400

On 07/30/2012 05:34 PM, Supriya Kannery wrote:
>  For changing host pagecache setting of a running VM, it is
> important to have a safe way of reopening its image file.
>
> V1 introduced:
>  * a generic way to reopen image files safely.
>         In this approach, before reopening an image, for each
>     block driver, its state will be stashed. Incase preparation,
>     (bdrv_reopen_prepare) for reopening returns success, the stashed
>     state will be cleared (bdrv_reopen_commit) and reopened state will
>     be used further. Incase preparation of reopening returns failure,
>     the state of the driver will be rolled back (bdrv_reopen_abort)
>     to the stashed state. This approach is implemented for raw-posix,
>     raw-win32, vmdk, qcow, qcow2 and qed block drivers.
>
>  * qmp and hmp command 'block_set_hostcache' using which host
>    pagecache setting for a block device can be changed
>    when the VM is running.
>
>  * BDRVReopenState, a generic structure which can be
>    extended by each of the block drivers to reopen
>    respective image files.
>
> V2:
>  * Changed ordering of patches such that code changes related to
>    generic framework for safely reopening images gets applied first.
>
>  * For block drivers not having bdrv_reopen_xx functions
>    implemented, return "feature not supported" error.
>
> Testing:
> =======
> [Thanks! to Yoganananth Subramanian for helping out with testing]
>
> Steps:
> 1) boot up guest image of different formats qed, raw, qcow2, vmdk
> 2) run iozone in these guests
>    command: iozone -a
> 3) view cache setting of image file through qemu monitor
>    command: info block
>             "hostcache =" 0/1 should be displayed
> 4) Toggle hostcache value using block_set_hostcache
>    command: block_set_hostcache virtio0 on
> 5) Disable and enable hostcache at randon intervals while iozone is
>    running inside guest.
>    command: block_set_hostcache virtio0 on/off
> 6) Info block should reflect toggled hostcache value
>    and iozone should complete without any issue
>
> Results:
>   Verified above steps for raw-posix, qcow2, qed and vmdk images.
>   raw-posix, qed and vmdk images (split files) worked fine. With
>   qcow2 image getting an error of double free after iozone running
>   for a while.

I believe the double free you are seeing above is due to closing the
refcount at the end of qcow2_reopen_commit() (see comments on patch
5/9).  Whenever that image is closed with bdrv_close(),
qcow2_refcount_close() is called again.

I had to make just a few small changes to the patches to get them
working for reopen() calls that had file access permission changes
(r/o->r/w), so I will try and document each of these changes in replies
to your other patches.

I applied the changes in my other replies your patches to my github branch
so they would work for going from r/o->r/w->r/o, for testing block commit:
https://github.com/codyprime/qemu-kvm-jtc/commits/jtc-live-commit-v3

I only made patches for qcow2 and raw-posix, which is what I have been
testing with block commit (although I imagine the changes for the other
formats are similar).

Another thought, that is more design oriented: as it currently is,
reopen() is not transactional for multiple BlockDriverStates.  It would
be nice if we could queue up multiple BDSs to reopen into a transaction,
and only perform the commit() if the prepare() was successful for all of
the BDS entries. Perhaps using something like QSIMPLEQ could be useful
to accomplish this.

I think this is especially important for formats like qcow2, where we
need to reopen both the bs and bs->file.