qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] building qemu on macos mountain lion

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: [Qemu-devel] building qemu on macos mountain lion
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 15:11:37 +0100

[Karl: I've cc'd you because I think you were the person asking about this
on #qemu IRC yesterday. Apologies if I have the wrong person...]

I just had a go at building qemu on macos X (mountain lion). The good news
is I got something working, but I had to fiddle with stuff a bit:
 * block/raw-posix.c includes IOKitLib.h -- unless we build with
  -DOS_OBJECT_USE_OBJC=0 the system headers end up trying
  to use objective C syntax and gcc barfs
 * the ui/cocoa.m file uses a system header which pulls in NSTask.h
   which uses Apple's non-standard "Blocks" objC extension. I worked
   round this by having rules.mak use clang to build all .m files (they
   don't use the major gcc-only-ism we need and they link fine with
   everything else)

[This is compiling with a fink build of mainline gcc-4.7.1]

Also 'make check' fails:

GTESTER tests/test-iov
send: Message too long
recv: Message too long
GTester: last random seed: R02Sf266e22f7524d5995dc2694b2a44c128

probably we're relying on a linuxism for sendmsg() splitting long messages,
haven't investigated yet.

I'll try to put together some patches for this but thought I'd send this
email to see if anybody else had already looked at them.

-- PMM