qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Q35 OS install status

From: Jason Baron
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Q35 OS install status
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 10:23:01 -0400

Hi,

Linux
-----
Fedora 17: installs and ran memory tests (requires ahci cdrom fixes I
           posted to install)
Fedora 16: installs and ran memory tests

Windows
-------
Windows 7: Wouldn't install due to this error:
        'A required cd/dvd device driver is missing. If you have a
        driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now.'

        That said, I did a successfull install on q35 by using the piix4-ide
        controller for the cdrom and ide drive (passed on command line).
        Also, I can get windows 7 now to recognize the ahci drives after boot by
        going into the device manager and doing a rescan for new h/w. So
        this appears to be a problem in the boot path...

Windows xp:

        Same as windows 7, wouldn't install with ahci but will install using the
        piix4-ide controller passed on command line. Not even sure if
        windows xp has ahci support.

BSD
---
Luiz tested these for me.

OpenBSD 5.1, FreeBSD 9.0 and NetBSD all worked with the ide controller
passed on the command line. AHCI didn't work.

Recently, I have been working on trying to get ahci working on Windows 7,
but if we are willing to go with the piix4-ide controller as the default for now
until we shake out ahci issues that might allow us to make faster
progress. I still need to clean up the trees a bit and re-base on top of
the QOM pcihost patches, but it shouldn't be too bad.

Thanks,

-Jason