qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Qemu phone modem emulation

From: Eric Koldeweij
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Qemu phone modem emulation
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 21:26:06 +0200

Hello all,

I am currently working on a serial telephone modem emulation implementation for Qemu. My question is if it would be a good idea to offer it for inclusion in the qemu main trunk when it's ready. These are the requirements I am working with:

- The modem device is accessible through a new option for a serial device. A new -serial option has been added (so far, might change in the future):
    -serial modem:[<listenIP>]:<listenPort>

- The modem device will emulate a generic serial modem using a Rockwell/Conexant RC144xxx chipset. The reasons I have chosen this chipset are: - It was extremely common in its time and you could argue it was the de facto modem standard.
    - It is supported by most if not all serial communications programs.
- It was the chipset of the first cheap and easily available modems with Facsimile/Fax support. - I have quite some documentation on this chipset as well as the working hardware to compare it against. - Since speed is not an issue (there is no bandwidth limiter) there is no need to support higher speeds and standards, it's just more programming work.

- The modem will be able to receive "calls" on a telnet or telnet-like interface. The modem will generate the appropriate "RING" messages to the serial port. Serial data and Fax transmission/reception are going to be supported.

- The modem will be able to "dial out" to a telnet-like interface service. This includes of course a qemu modem device. - This is the biggest problem I am encountering so far: it is extremely difficult to embed an IP adress and port number into a legal "telephone number". Suggestions on how to solve this are more than welcome. For instance: "ATDT127.0.0.1:14400" works fine now but the dot and colon are not allowed in the dial string. Also there is a line limit of 39 characters for each modem command which makes IPv6 addresses a bit difficult to encode. Of course I can make it any way I like but a lot of software won't allow it entered as a telephone number either.

- If two qemu instances are "dialing" each other, a speed negotiation will take place using unused telnet IAC options in which speed capabilities, error-correcting and compression abilities are exchanged. This is purely cosmetic however and it is going to be disable-able :) If no options are exchanged the emulation will assume a can-do-anything-modem at the other side and connect with the highest speed as allowed by the settings.

- The emulated modem will not be able to talk to a real modem. Just in case it wasn't obvious.

- I am open for feature requests.

I am looking forward to comments. Thanks for your time.

Regards,
Eric Koldeweij.