qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] x86, nops settings result in kernel crash

From: Tomas Racek
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] x86, nops settings result in kernel crash
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 05:28:54 -0400 (EDT)

> On 20.08.2012 21:13, Tomas Racek wrote:
> []
> Can we trim the old, large and now not-so-relevant discussion please?
> ;)
>
> > I can provide you with more different traces if it can help. But I
> > thought that maybe it will be more useful for you to try it on
> > your own. So I've prepared some minimal debian installation which
> > you could download here (apx 163M bzipped):
> >
> > http://fi.muni.cz/~xracek/debian.img.bz2
> >
> > Password:
> > root/asdfgh
> >
> > Here is my config for guest kernel:
> >
> > http://fi.muni.cz/~xracek/config
> >
> > I use
> >
> > qemu-kvm -m 1500 -hda debian.img -kernel
> > linux/arch/x86/boot/bzImage -append "root=/dev/sda1"
>
> Um.  I'd expect the image to be self-contained, no external kernel.
> I wanted to do a quick test to see if it fails on my machine too,
> d/loaded debian.img.bz2 but there's no kernel.  So.. no quick test
> for you ;)

Well, the point was to use the latest sources instead of some image which can
be obsolete tomorrow. However I created a new image with today's kernel which
you can use:

http://fi.muni.cz/~xracek/debian2.img.bz2

Other things are the same.

The runtest.sh sets environment for xfstests and runs test 285 which I wrote
and and which should test if FS sends discard requests only on free sectors:
285:
1. Create loop device and FS on it.
2. Populate it with some garbage.
3. Get free sectors from FS.
4. Run fstrim and look for discard requests via blk tracer.
5. Compare free sectors to discard requests.

The test itself can have some issues but I'm pretty sure it shouldn't crash the
system. ;-)

Regards,
Tom