qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-kvm-1.0.1 - unable to exit if vcpu is in infinite

From: Peter Lieven
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-kvm-1.0.1 - unable to exit if vcpu is in infinite loop
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 14:52:10 +0200

On 2012-08-19 11:42, Avi Kivity wrote:
On 08/17/2012 06:04 PM, Jan Kiszka wrote:
Can anyone imagine that such a barrier may actually be required? If it
is currently possible that env->stop is evaluated before we called into
sigtimedwait in qemu_kvm_eat_signals, then we could actually eat the
signal without properly processing its reason (stop).
Should not be required (TM): Both signal eating / stop checking and stop
setting / signal generation happens under the BQL, thus the ordering
must not make a difference here.
Agree.

Don't see where we could lose a signal. Maybe due to a subtle memory
corruption that sets thread_kicked to non-zero, preventing the kicking
this way.
Cannot be ruled out, yet too much of a coincidence.

Could be a kernel bug (either in kvm or elsewhere), we've had several
before in this area.

Is this reproducible?
Not for me. Peter only hit it very rarely, Peter obviously more easily.
I have only hit this once and was not able to reproduce it.
For me it was very reproducible, but my issue was fixed by:

Never seen this since then,
Peter

Stefan