qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] How to add new architecture?

From: Wei-Ren Chen
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] How to add new architecture?
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2012 00:02:32 +0800

On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 08:50:29AM -0700, Michael Eager wrote:
> On 08/25/2012 08:38 AM, 陳韋任 (Wei-Ren Chen) wrote:
> >> I want to add a new guest architecture.
> >>
> >> Is there any description of what the configuration options mean?
> >
> >    You mean the options list in `../${QEMU_SRC}/configure --help`?
> > Not sure why you need to care about that.
>
> In $QEMU_SRC/configure, architectures have these configuration options
> (and several more):
>      target_nptl="yes"
>      target_phys_bits=32
>      target_libs_softmmu="$fdt_libs"
>
> In the target-*/cpu.h, there are defines like:
>
>      #define TARGET_LONG_BITS 32
>      #define TARGET_HAS_ICE 1
>      #define TARGET_PAGE_BITS 12
>      #define TARGET_PAGE_BITS 10
>      #define TARGET_PHYS_ADDR_SPACE_BITS 40
>      #define TARGET_VIRT_ADDR_SPACE_BITS 32
>
> There are also required specification like CPUState or CPUArchState.
>
> Is there any description of these configuration options?

  Well, you need to read the source code. :) Basically, TARGET_XXX
describes guest characteristics. QEMU now is refactoring its code base,
for example, perfer to use CPUArchState rather than CPUState. OpenRISC
port is a good example/template you can use.

Regards,
chenwj

--
Wei-Ren Chen (陳韋任)
Computer Systems Lab, Institute of Information Science,