qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] TPM does not seem to work under QEMU with TPM patches

From: Stefan Berger
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] TPM does not seem to work under QEMU with TPM patches
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 09:07:13 -0400

On 08/20/2012 06:12 PM, Jordi Cucurull Juan wrote:
Dear all,

I am testing the TPM patches of Stefan Berger to provide TPM support to QEMU. Nevertheless I have not managed to run them successfully. During the compilation of QEMU with his patches (V18 for revision 563987d) I have not had any issue. But, I have a virtual machine based on CentOS 6.2 and the TPM does not seem to be present. I run the machine with the following command line (as a root user):

# /usr/local/bin/qemu-system-x86_64 -hda qemu-disk-centos.img -m 1024 -boot d -enable-kvm -usbdevice tablet -k es -tpmdev passthrough,id=tpm0,path=/dev/tpm0 -device tpm-tis,tpmdev=tpm0

My real machine has an Infineon TPM v1.2. When I try to load the TSS library (Trousers) inside the client machine (the CentOS 6.2) it throws the following error:

insmod: error inserting '/lib/modules/2.6.32-279.5.1.el6.x86_64/kernel/drivers/char/tpm/tpm_atmel.ko': -1 no such device

You have to use tpm_tis.
Unless you are using the SeaBIOS extensions for TPM support as well you have do

modprobe tpm_tis force=1

or in the grub command line

tpm_tis.force=1

The 'force' parameter is necessary if ACPI tables for TPM are missing and those are only provided once SeaBIOS has been patched with TPM support.

     Stefan

Apart from this, QEMU does not throw any error. Should I enable something else to have access to the TPM? In addition, I do not see any /dev/vtpm0 device in my real machine.

Best regards,
Jordi.