qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] External RAM

From: Brian Roantree
Subject: [Qemu-devel] External RAM
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 13:38:50 +0000

Hi, I’m not sure which list this belongs in and was unable to find anything like it so here goes,

I am using QEMU 0.15.90 to emulate a processor and have currently got it running in a loosely timed simulation with a systemC kernel as well, I have also  created and attached a block of RAM as well as another device and am running into a problem. It is registered as IO memory and replaced the generic internal ram that was allocated using qemu_ram_alloc, the problem I’m having is that my bootloader is now trying to write to RAM address  4293918720 (0xFFF00000) which doesn’t exist. My question is can I somehow use qemu_ram_alloc to allocate the RAM but still use the different IO functions to read and write from this block of memory?

I have tried creating a device for the ram and after initialising it using

Addr = qemu_ram_alloc(s->sc_shared_ram,”name.ram”, ram_size);

cpu_register_physical_memory(addr_base, ram_size, Addr);

where s is processor device_state and sc_shared_ram is a device_state with the modified read and write functions

however when the Ram is used the read and write functions are never employed.

Any help you could provide would be much appreciated, also apologies if I’m not that clear with my wording I haven’t been doing QEMU development that long so am not also sure how to express what I want.