qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Rethinking missed tick catchup

From: Jan Kiszka
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Rethinking missed tick catchup
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 17:42:58 +0200

On 2012-09-12 17:06, Gleb Natapov wrote:

>>> We should take the chance and design everything in a way that the HPET
>>> can finally be (left) enabled.
>>
>> I thought the issue with the HPET was access frequency and the cost of
>> heavy weight exits.
>>
>> I don't have concrete data here.  I've only heard it second hand.  Can
>> anyone comment more?
>>
> There is no any reason whatsoever to emulate HPET for Windows. It will
> make it slower. Hyper-V does not emulate it. For proper time support in
> Windows we need to implement relevant part of Hyper-V spec.

There are two reasons to do it nevertheless:

 - QEMU is not Hyper-V. We are emulating the HPET already, and we
   expose it by default. So we should do it properly.

 - The time drift fix for the RTC is still a hack. Adding a second user
   would force us to finally clean it up.

Jan

--
Siemens AG, Corporate Technology, CT RTC ITP SDP-DE