qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] 'qemu-nbd' explicite flush to disk

From: Mark Trumpold
Subject: [Qemu-devel] 'qemu-nbd' explicite flush to disk
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 14:28:25 -0700

Hello,

I posted a similar message to 'qemu-discuss', and was thinking my question may
require a developer level of expertise.  I will try to be as brief as possible.

My context is using 'qemu-nbd' and 'qemu-img' to manage 'qcow2' loop filesystem
images being hosted on a 'nilfs' filesystem.  This way I can 'nilfs snapshot'
the images.

The problem is 'nilfs' creates a 'checkpoint' for every synchronous write, and
'qemu-nbd's default cache mode is 'writethrough'.   Disk space is consumed
quickly with the 'checkpoint' overhead in this case.

So, I've been experimenting with 'qemu-nbd --cache=writeback ..'
This nicely eliminates the  'checkpoint' issue; however, I have as yet been
unable to explicitely flush things to disk -- which I would like to do just
before a 'nilfs' snapshot.

I've tried the 'bdrv_drain_all() / bdrv_flush_all()'.   I instrumented and
found the 'bdrv_co_flush(bs)' doesn't get called as expected in the loop.  I
had one image connected as follows for this test:
    qemu-nbd -v --cache=writeback -c /dev/nbd5 /images/root/snap.img

Subsequently I've been trying to call 'bdrv_co_flush(bs)' directly, but I can't
figure out how to dereference 'bs' for the call.

I'm probably out in the weeds on this one.

I am running:
    qemu-1.2.0
    linux kernel 3.3.1

Thank you,
Mark Trumpold

Confidentiality Notice:  The information contained in this electronic e-mail
and any accompanying attachment(s) is intended only for the use of the intended
recipient and is confidential and/or privileged. If you and we have a
confidentiality agreement or other non-disclosure obligations between us, this
Notice shall be deemed to mark and identify the content of this email and any
attachments as confidential and proprietary.   If any reader of this
communication is not the intended recipient, unauthorized use, disclosure or
copying is strictly prohibited, and may be unlawful.  If you have received this
communication in error, please immediately notify the sender by return e-mail,
and delete the original message and all copies from your system.  Thank you.

IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by
the IRS, please be advised that any U.S. federal tax advice contained in this
communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used
or relied upon, and cannot be used or relied upon, for the purpose of (i)
avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code, or (ii) promoting,
marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed
herein.

E-mail is susceptible to data corruption, interception, unauthorized amendment,
tampering and viruses, and we only send and receive e-mails on the basis that
we are not liable for any such corruption, interception, amendment, tampering
or viruses or any consequences thereof.