qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Enablig DLPAR capacity on QEMU pSeries

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Enablig DLPAR capacity on QEMU pSeries
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 07:45:58 +1000

On Thu, 2012-09-13 at 12:15 -0300, Erlon Cruz wrote:

> >> What exactly would you like to patch into it? We already do have support
> >> for dynamic dt creation with the spapr target.
> >
> > No we don't. We don't have the necessary bits and pieces to pass the DT
> > updates down to the guest. PAPR defines a mechanism using RTAS calls
> > which we need to implement, but there are some issues remaining:
>
> Do we need any patching on SLOF to make this possible?

For adding the RTAS calls, no. Under qemu, RTAS is currently entirely
provided by qemu itself (the RTAS blob that is carried around through
SLOF etc... is just a little 5 instructions wrapper that calls a hidden
hcall).

> >  - We don't have a way to "initiate" a DLPAR operation. This is
> > currently done by proprietary tools that communicate with the HMC. We
> > want to invent some kind of hotplug "interrupt" (using existing RTAS
> > event facilities). All it needs to do is indicate the DT path (ie.
> > connector) where something is to be plugged to or unplugged, which can
> > then trigger the relevant configure-connector calls to retrieve the DT
> > bits.
>
> I think that a device/guest driver will work for this purpose. It will
> get interrupted when something on DT changes and trigger the kernel
> routines that in the actual implementation are called by those
> proprietary tool.

Right. My idea was to remain generally consistent with PAPR and use some
kind of existing RTAS even interrupt facility and extend it. I should
try to poke some of the IBM folks in charge of PAPR to see if they are
interested in actually architecting such a mechanism.

> >  - We have a problem with PCI. Currently, the content of the PCI
> > bus(ses) is discovered by SLOF running inside the guest. Not by qemu.
> > It's SLOF that assigns the BARs and create the device-tree nodes for the
> > various PCI devices. However, with hotplug, the guest expects to get
> > fully populated DT nodes for hotplugged PCI devices and fully assigned
> > BARS. Under pHyp that works because under the hood, RTAS contains an OFW
> > implementation which does all the assignment before passing the stuff to
> > the OS, but under qemu, RTAS is actually in qemu. This means we'll
> > probably have to move back the PCI device node creation and resource
> > assignment to qemu (like it was in the very early versions of the spapr
> > support).
>
> AFIK in the first versions of spapr there was no PCI support, right?

Well, we added PCI pretty quickly.

> So I'm guessing that you refer to the first implementation of PCI.
> Would we have to remove the PCI discovering functions from SLOF? I
> have no idea on how to code into SLOF.

We would have to change them at least, as we still want SLOF to do the
driver matching part at least. I can help with SLOF and we have some
folks assigned to it as well in IBM, so don't worry too much about that
part. I think the first step is to get a proof of concept using PAPR VIO
first, which doesn't have that problem. Then we can look at the PCI
issues.

Cheers,
Ben.