qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] directory hierarchy

From: Stefan Weil
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] directory hierarchy
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 16:37:27 +0200

Am 14.09.2012 15:17, schrieb Paolo Bonzini:
Hi all,

here is a proposal for moving around 150 C files currently in the
toplevel directory to separate, well-delimited subdirectories.  Header
files would be moved for now in include/, preparing for subsequent
reorganization of headers.

Usually the files would keep their names, but I loathe names starting
with qemu-* so I took the occasion to rename those.

This does not touch the hw/ directory, which is its own mess and worth a
separate discussion.  Cleaning it up may require introducing more
CONFIG_* symbols and moving stuff to libhw whenever possible (for
example if we want all NICs in hw/net, all RTCs in hw/rtc, etc. perhaps
with some exceptions for USB).

Opinions, flames, "stop this guy"s are welcome as usual.

Paolo

I really appreciate your proposal for a cleaner directory hierarchy.

Here are some more ideas:

* Move the target-xxx directories (currently 15) to target/xxx.

* Add host/xxx for host specific files (xxx = posix, wxx).
  Here the currently used win32 might be replaced by either
  wxx or by win as most of it also applies to w64.
  An alternative solution would add host specific subdirectories
  to include/qemu and util.

* Move machine implementations (code which calls machine_init)
  to the respective architecture directories (hw/arm, ...).
  Meanwhile we have more than 50 machine implementations in hw.
  We could also replace hw/alpha, hw/arm, hw/cris, ... to
  hw/arch/alpha and so on.

* Move hardware implementations which are architecture specific
  to the architecture directories. This is sometimes less obvious
  than the machine implementations.

Stefan