qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] directory hierarchy

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] directory hierarchy
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 23:28:45 +0200

Il 14/09/2012 21:51, Blue Swirl ha scritto:
> On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 1:17 PM, Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> here is a proposal for moving around 150 C files currently in the
>> toplevel directory to separate, well-delimited subdirectories.  Header
>> files would be moved for now in include/, preparing for subsequent
>> reorganization of headers.
>>
>> Usually the files would keep their names, but I loathe names starting
>> with qemu-* so I took the occasion to rename those.
>>
>> This does not touch the hw/ directory, which is its own mess and worth a
>> separate discussion.  Cleaning it up may require introducing more
>> CONFIG_* symbols and moving stuff to libhw whenever possible (for
>> example if we want all NICs in hw/net, all RTCs in hw/rtc, etc. perhaps
>> with some exceptions for USB).
>>
>> Opinions, flames, "stop this guy"s are welcome as usual.
>
> Good idea.

>> exec:
>
> These files need cleanup so that TCG code gets into tcg/. Maybe also
> TB and CPUTLB handling.
>
>> cpu-exec.c
>> disas.c
>> exec.c
>> gdbstub.c
>> tci.c (note: TCI can't go in tcg/ for licensing reasons)
>
> The directory organization should not be affected by licensing issues,
> it's licenses of each file that counts. We could create a new
> directory and move code from TCG to that.

exec/ is basically the common parts of user- and system-mode emulation.
 It's unrelated to separating TCG from other accelerators.

>> translate-all.c

>> sysemu:
>> arch_init.c
>> balloon.c
>> cpus.c
>> cputlb.c
>> cursor.c
>> device_tree.c
>> dump-stub.c
>> dump.c
>> ioport.c
>> kvm-all.c
>> kvm-stub.c
>
> How about kvm and xen as top level directories?

Note sure, it's just 2-3 files each for now.

>> memory.c
>> memory_mapping-stub.c
>> memory_mapping.c
>> os-posix.c
>> os-win32.c
>> pflib.c
>> qemu-error.c                    sysemu/error.c
>> qemu-seccomp.c                  sysemu/seccomp.c
>> qtest.c
>> vl.c
>> xen-all.c
>> xen-mapcache.c
>> xen-stub.c
>> qemu-options.hx
>>
>> sysemu/block:
>
> This distinction is not so clear to me. For example, why do block/ and
> qobject/ reside in the top level?

Because they are used by tools.  sysemu/ is not going to be used by
tools nor user-mode emulation.

>> block/stream.c
>> blockdev.c
>>
>> sysemu/bt:
>> bt-host.c               sysemu/bt/host.c
>> bt-vhci.c               sysemu/bt/vhci.c
>>
>> sysemu/char:
>> qemu-char.c                     sysemu/char/chardev.c
>> qemu-sockets.c                  sysemu/char/sockets.c
>> spice-qemu-char.c               sysemu/char/spice.c
>>
>> sysemu/migration:
>> block-migration.c       migration/block.c
>> buffered_file.c
>> migration-exec.c
>> migration-fd.c
>> migration-tcp.c
>> migration-unix.c
>> migration.c
>> page_cache.c
>> savevm.c
>>
>> sysemu/monitor:
>> hmp.c
>> monitor.c
>> qmp.c
>> readline.c
>> hmp-commands.hx
>> qmp-commands.hx
>
> I think audio and maybe net could also fit here as subdirectories of sysemu.

Yes, also ui/, fsdev/, slirp/, but I omitted those for simplicity.

Paolo