qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Rethinking missed tick catchup

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Rethinking missed tick catchup
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 09:37:01 -0500

Avi Kivity <address@hidden> writes:

> On 09/13/2012 09:27 PM, Anthony Liguori wrote:
>> If there was a better/equivalent solution that didn't depend on qemu-ga,
>> I'd be all for it.  But there isn't AFAICT.
>
> Perhaps there is.  We fixed the problem for Linux by adding kvmclock and
> backporting it to distros that users are most likely to use.  Windows
> fixed the problem by adding their own pv clock interface.  So we need to
> implement that, then focus on tick catchup for Windows XP and other
> guests with no pv interface (*BSD, etc.)

Tick catchup simply isn't going to work.  That's the whole point of the thread.

> Those older guests are also less likely to have a qemu-ga port or
> administrator motivation to install it.

That's a strange assertion to make.  FWIW, the issue with hibernation
was reported to me with a combination of WinXP and Windows 7 guests, in
this case, it's a totally new deployment.  Adding qemu-ga is totally
reasonable.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori