qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qmp: dump-guest-memory: -p option has issues, fix it or

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qmp: dump-guest-memory: -p option has issues, fix it or drop it?
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 12:08:28 -0600

On 09/17/2012 11:56 AM, Luiz Capitulino wrote:
> Hi Wen,
>
> We've re-reviewed the dump-guest-memory command and found some
> possible issues with the -p option.
>

> However, I also think that we should consider if having the -p
> feature is really worth it. It's a complex feature and has a number
> of limitations*. If libvirt doesn't use this, dropping it shouldn't
> be a big deal (we can return an error when -p is used).
>
>  * The issues discussed in this email plus the fact that the guest
>    memory may be corrupted, and the guest may be in real-mode even
>    when paging is enabled

Libvirt is not currently exposing the -p mode (that is, it currently
blindly passes 'paging':false to the JSON command).  Dropping it would
have no noticeable impact to libvirt.  (Note - libvirt _did_ wire up an
internal flag to qemu_monitor_json.c, QEMU_MONITOR_DUMP_PAGING, but
nothing sets this flag, so libvirt would need a cleanup patch to remove
it as useless code, but that is not user-visible.)

--
Eric Blake   address@hidden    +1-919-301-3266