qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Doubts on SMP, VCPU and CONFIG_IOTHREAD

From: Alex Barcelo
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Doubts on SMP, VCPU and CONFIG_IOTHREAD
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 08:27:47 +0200

Sorry for being so confused, I am sure that there is some manual which
I haven't read, but I am not able to find it :-\

I saw some things[1] about multiple vcpu, smp and things like that. It
seemed to me that --enable-io-thread enables it. But, it only works
for KVM, doesn't it? I assume that there is NOT one thread per vcpu in
TCG mode. And this --enable-io-thread now is the default? This option
is always active? Now I was wondering if something "parallel" is done
in TCG (maybe through coroutines?). No truly parallel, I know, but...
"logically parallel" if you know what I mean. I have been unable to
find it on the code.

Also, the problem on multithreading the execution of qemu-system is
the translation, right? TCG is not thread safe and cannot be run in a
parallel mode. Right?

[1]
http://blog.vmsplice.net/2011/03/qemu-internals-overall-architecture-and.html