qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qmp: dump-guest-memory: -p option has issues, fix it or

From: Markus Armbruster
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qmp: dump-guest-memory: -p option has issues, fix it or drop it?
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 15:13:02 +0200

Anthony Liguori <address@hidden> writes:

> Markus Armbruster <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Anthony Liguori <address@hidden> writes:

>>> We shipped the API, we're not removing it.  Our compatibility isn't
>>> "whatever libvirt is currently using".
>>
>> Bah, don't be more catholic than the pope.  It's been out for how many
>> days?  Have you looked at the code?
>>
>>> It's perfectly reasonable to ask to document the behavior of the
>>> method.  It's also a trivial patch to qapi-schema.json.
>>
>> I'm okay with leaving obscure security holes in upstream QEMU,
>> indefinitely, as long as they're documented.  I don't think it's a good
>> idea, but it's something reasonable people can disagree about.
>
> It's *not* a security hole.

Since we agree that documenting the existing crappy behavior is okay for
stable, let's not argue what exactly to call it.

> The "malicious guest" you mention is just a guest with fully populated
> PTEs and PDEs, no?

A "normal" guest uses a small fraction of its RAM for page tables.  QEMU
allocates 10x of that fraction for dump -p.  Not so nice.

A not-so-normal guest uses most of its RAM for page tables.  QEMU
allocates in the order of 10x of the guest RAM for -p.  Oops.

[...]