qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [Qemu-ppc] RFC: NVRAM for pseries machine

From: David Gibson
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [Qemu-ppc] RFC: NVRAM for pseries machine
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 10:27:43 +1000

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 12:38:59PM +0200, Alexander Graf wrote:

> On 24.09.2012, at 02:31, David Gibson wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 01:31:08PM +0000, Blue Swirl wrote:

> >> Yes, there have been discussions earlier since loading NVRAM contents
> >> from a file would be useful for many architectures too.

> >> That was the problem earlier too, it looks like a generic way for all
> >> NVRAM/flash devices should be obvious but so far nobody has been able
> >> to propose something.
> >>
> >> What if there are two devices which could use this, for example CMOS
> >> and flash on x86?
> >>
> >> This should be extending  -device syntax rather than adding another
> >> top level option. Something like
> >> -drive foo,file=nvram.qcow2,format=qcow2,id=main_nvram -device
> >> spapr-nvram,drive_id=main_nvram
> >
> > So, if you look at the patch there is actually a -device form within
> > there, the machine option is a wrapper around it.  Without the machine
> > option, I don't see how to get the desired properties for the
> > configuration that is:
> > * NVRAM is always instantiated by default (even if it's
> > non-persistent)
> > * It's easy to set the drive for that always-present NVRAM
>
> I suppose the idea is that when creating a machine from a qtree
> dump, we can still recreate it. Or maybe when using -nodefaults? Not
> sure. But the way you do it right now is very close to how we want
> to model USB too, so I do like it. It's consistent.

I really don't follow what point you're making here.

The problem with -device syntax for my purpose is that with *no* extra
command line arguments we should always have some sort of NVRAM - it's
mandated by the platform spec, and should always be there, just like
the PCI bridge and VIO bridge.  That means instantiating the device
from the machine setup code.  But then, using -device will create a
second instance of the device, which is no good, because only one can
actually be used.

http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson